|Parents! Be sure to get your children’s permission before having fun in the kitchen!
You will need:
• 1 box cheap cake mix.
• Eggs and other ingredients to make the cake mix. Read the box for details.
• Cupcake liners – the metallic or pastel disposable “cups” you use to bake cupcakes in.
• Brown frosting. (Don’t you love it when people use colors to describe a flavor?)
• Cookies for “dirt” – Chocolate wafers, oreos, or burnt homemade cookies.
• Gummi worms and/or other decorations.
|Make & frost the cupcakes:
Mix the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Stick the cupcake liners on a cookie sheet or inside muffin cups. Fill each liner about 3/4 full of cake batter. Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box. For cake mix cookies, check out here.
After the cupcakes have cooled, apply frosting to their tops. (The top is the side facing away from the floor – a very important detail, unless you want authentic dirt cups!)
|Turn your cookies into “dirt”:
Smash your cookies into small pieces – it’s your choice as to how fine the bits are and whether they’re all roughly the same size.
Here are a few ways to pulverize your cookies:
• a mortar and pestle
• if store-bought, smack the unopened bag with a hammer
• pour into a plastic bag and pound with a rolling pin
• place unopened bag in heavy traffic
• whirl cookies in a food processor or blender
You get the idea. Smash ’em up. If you need stress relief, visualize bosses and coworkers you haven’t gotten along with while you do it.
|Decorate the cupcakes
Sprinkle the smashed cookies on top of the cupcakes to simulate dirt and adorn with the flaccid gummi worms. Wow – isn’t that tasty looking?
What other decorations can you come up with?